Friday 27 February 2015

The "I don't know what it's called but I was tagged so I'm doing it" Tag

Thank you to Terri @Lebookchronicles (http://lebookchronicles.weebly.com - you should check her blog out because it's awesome) for tagging me!

She didn't know the name for this tag so I'm just going to jump into the questions:


1. Favorite children’s book/fairytale?
I was a huge fan of Roald Dahl and Jacqueline Wilson as a child. Of course I loved lots of books but these two stick out as my favourite authors, I read almost all of their books during my childhood. I still have all of these books and probably will keep them forever. As for a single favourite? That's hard to choose (mostly because I never pick favourites of anything, especially books). I did really love Matilda though (both the book and the movie - which I have on DVD and still watch frequently).



2. Do you have more than one copy of the same book? Same or different edition?
 Unlike most people I actually buy multiple copies a lot (sorry Terri!). It either happens because I want, or have seen, a different edition, I want the books in a series to match on my shelf, the book is in poor condition so I want to replace it (usually only if I see it cheap second hand) or when I have both Kindle and physical copies of a book. The last one is an issue; I usually buy books on Kindle, read them, love them and then I want the books for my collection so I end up paying way more than if I had just bought the paperback to begin with. Also if the Kindle version is cheap, I'll buy it so can choose which format to read on or reread it any time I want easily (and search for my favourite bits to reread). Oh dear I have some series issues...

3. If you could change the fate of one book character, who would you choose? 
Usually I'm pretty happy with a character's fate and I don't want to spoil so I'll pass on this one.

4. Do you use a bookmark or dog-ear the pages? 
Never dog-ear! It is so pointless when literally anything can be used as a bookmark. If I need to close a book for a moment and I don't have anything at hand I used remember the page number...not that difficult. And also any book lover always has something at hand that can be used as a bookmark so it really shouldn't be a problem. 

5. Choose a book character you would like to have as a friend in real life. 
Oh this is tough! I don't know who exactly but she/he would need to be fun (I need friends to laugh with), love to read (so we could talk books) and be a really genuine person

6. Which book do you think had the worst plot? 
Love story by Jennifer Echols has a pretty terrible plot. The whole book is a pile of - no that's harsh but it is rubbish. The ending happens when I felt like I was only 75% of the way through, I thought it was a mistake - like my copy was missing 75 pages (according to goodreads I'm not the only one who felt this way). Overall the story wasn't great but then it ended with no resolution, it may as well have been halfway through a sentence. I still wonder how that happened. Was she writing and someone lured her away with a huge brownie and he never got back to writing it? Who Knows? Either way the plot was possibly the worst I've ever read and executed badly too, characters were awful. Just one big pile of suck.

7. Which do you prefer: eReaders, tablets or physical books? 
Hmmm well I obviously own physical books and I also have the kindle app (as well as the Kobo app and my library eBook app) on my phone and tablet. I very recently purchased my first actual kindle too. I read a lot of eBooks because I like the convenience of reading anywhere (*ahem* lectures), I read a lot quicker on them and I can read laid down in bed. I buy a lot of cheap/free books on there which are great and a lot of those aren't even available in paperback so eBooks are definitely important for me (some of my favourite authors are eBook only). I own a massive amount of physical books though and ultimately I love their covers, smells, the way they feel...everything. Despite this I couldn't choose one or the other as they both have their own advantages/disadvantages. I love them both and as long as I can have both I will.

8. Do you watch book trailers?
Rarely, mostly because I like using my imagination which is one of the (many) reasons I prefer books to movies- I'm planning a post about this soon actually. 

9. Do you prefer a book series or stand-alone books? 
Stand-alone...actually companion series. This way you have the choice to continue, don't get bored with the same story dragged out and get to see more of your favourite characters without overdosing on them. I struggle to make it through series and stand-alone's leave me pining for more so I choose a good companion series.

10. Does the book cover affect your decision on whether or not to buy the book?
No! If it did all my favourites might not be my favourites. As an avid reader of romance books (including historical romance which have terrible covers) I have learnt to accept that the covers are what they are; weird, awkward, half naked embraces. There is always someone's hand on someone's breast, ass or in their jeans (down the front, pocket, anywhere really). They never look appealing but the books are often really incredible. I've also read a lot of books with beautiful covers and horrible stories so no I don't judge - I just keep the covers concealed sometimes in public (I hate that I feel like I need to do this but some people just doesn't get romance as a genre).

11. And what is your favourite book cover?
Urrghh with the impossible questions already whoever made this tag!...I really love The Sound Of Letting Go by Stacia Ward Kehoe. 

12. Did you ever buy a book you thought you would love but couldn't even finish? Which one? 
Will Grayson, Will Grayson, I managed 30 pages. I know that's not much but I just couldn't.

13. Which book has touched you the most? Why? 
The Age Of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. I can't even say why but this book just hit me so hard. I felt so much when reading, and for a long time after, this book. I highly recommend it.

14. Which book have you re-read the most? 
I've not kept count so it would be one of the following; Pushing The Limits by Katie McGarry. Playing For Keeps & Perfection by R.L.Mathewson. Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. Chasing McCree by J.C.Isabella.

15. How do you select new books to read? 
I'm a mood reader therefore I just go with what I'm feeling. There is no method in the madness that is my reading but I like that because I really believe you find the best books by accident.

If You want to do this tag, then please do. I tag you!

Thanks For Reading!
With all my bookish love,
Jess
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment