Thursday 19 February 2015

Growing Out Of YA?

I really only discovered young adult fiction at the beginning of 2014, before then I had primarily read adult books (after I grew out of children/middle grade fiction). I had read a few ya books before then but it was at that point when I really discovered this genre. 

Since then I've read hundreds of ya books and loved so many of them. In more recent months I have however noticed my interest in them waning. I've got plenty of ya on my shelves but I'm finding myself drawn to other genres. I don't think this is an aversion to ya seeing as I have reread some of my favourite ya books from last year recently and enjoyed them thoroughly.


I am definitely more discerning of the books I read now and much more critical which I feel does effect the types of books I choose to read.


Mostly though I do genuinely think it's simply that my taste is expanding, I'm not solely reading contemporary, romance or ya novels any more. I love that this is happening but I really hope that I can still find enjoyment in ya as well as in the new genres I've been exploring.


With that in mind here's a list of 5 ya books I really want to read this year:

>Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
>Throne Of Glass by Sarah J. Mass
>Me, Earl & The Dying Girl by Jess Andrews
>All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
>The Mortal Instruments/The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare

Truthfully I don't think I'll ever 'grow out' of ya so much as grow into other genres whilst maintaining my appreciation and admiration for ya as a genre.


Thanks For Reading!

With all my bookish love,
Jess
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Even though I've been addicted to YA ever since I discovered it a couple years back, my interest has never waned because there's always something new coming out or new genres to explore more! I completely get where you're coming from though :) interesting post

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/book-haul-extravaganza.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree and really I think it is more to do with being careful about reading the best of ya (or any genre really) as opposed to reading just anything. I'm definitely trying to explore genres within ya more and to keep discovering new authors. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete